Local Actions

Make your own dividend

Customize and print out your own printable U.S. dividend (pdf) or printable California dividend (pdf), which you can give to people and use at events. Here is the "Big Div" on display outside the White House at the Forward on Climate Rally February 2013.

City Councils endorse the CLEAR Act

The CLEAR Act is a bill introduced in the U.S. Senate by Senators Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and Susan Collins (R-ME) in December 2009.  CLEAR stands for Carbon Limits and Energy for American Renewal.  The CLEAR Act takes a Cap and Dividend approach to stop climate change. The CLEAR Act sets an economy-wide carbon cap, auctions permits to fuel producers and returns 75% of the resulting revenue in checks to every American, and the remaining 25% as investments.

The Town Council of Windsor, California unanimously endorsed the CLEAR Act at their meeting on June 2nd, 2010. They were the 5th Sonoma County city to do so.

In this photo, the Councilmembers are holding a giant dividend check made out to every Windsor resident in the amount of $350 (a reference to 350 parts per million of CO2 in the atmosphere, which scientists say is the safe level that is currently exceeded).  The memo of the check states, “Dividend payment from polluters to every American.”

The Cotati City Council unanimously endorsed the CLEAR Act at their meeting on May 26th, 2010.

The Sonoma City Council endorsed the CLEAR Act at their May 5th meeting. The resolution directs the city council to send a letter to Senators Boxer and Feinstein asking them to support and co-sponsor the CLEAR Act.  

The photo above is with Sonoma Councilmember Laurie Gallian who sponsored the resolution and Mayor Steve Barbose. 

The Sebastopol City Council endorsed the CLEAR Act at their May 4th meeting.

The Sebastopol resolution was brought forward by Councilmember Larry Robinson (far left), and had unanimous support. The dividend check is made out by the U.S. Sky Trust, c/o the Department of the Treasury in Washington DC to "Every Sebastopol Resident."

At their meeting on Tuesday, March 30th, the City Council of Santa Rosa, California unanimously passed a resolution in support of the Carbon Limits and Energy for America’s Renewal (CLEAR) Act.  The resolution called on the Mayor to send a letter to their congressional delegation urging them to support the CLEAR Act. It also encourages California's Air Resources Board to return revenues from permit auctions under the state's AB3 law back to consumers. 

Below is a photo taken in council chambers after the vote.  Mike Sandler and Ann Hancock  are holding the large dividend check, with Councilmember Veronica Jacobi (3rd from the left), Mayor Susan Gorin (4th from the left), and other Councilmembers.  The check is for $350 (a reference to the number of parts per million CO2 needed to achieve a safe climate), and is made payable to “Every Santa Rosan.”  The memo line reads: “Dividend payment from polluters to every American.”

Santa Rosa’s agenda item may be found at http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/doclib/agendas_packets_minutes/Documents/20100330_CC_Item11.5.pdf.

On April 21st, the city of Las Vegas, New Mexico passed a resolution in support of the CLEAR Act.

Has your city or jurisdiction taken action in support of the CLEAR Act? Would it like to? If so, contact us.

Community and faith groups endorse the CLEAR Act

A photo taken after a talk at the Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists, with the "Big Div" made payable to "Every Berkeley Resident."

Find out more about the CLEAR Act here and here.

 

 

 

Home | About Us | Overview | How It Works | Resources and Reports |
News | Local | States and California | National | International | Events Calendar |
Take Action | What you can do
| Contact Us

footer